4.19.2010

Making the Hill Country a Habit




















I had the joy recently of spending a few days and nights in the scenic Texas hill country, specifically Bandera, Kerrville and Boerne.

I live right on the edge of the rolling hills and emerald views of these sleepy little towns, but never experienced them in their full capacity. In the midst of a plethora of summer camps, souvenir shops and miles of open highway, the gems of the hills stand out.

One little place I found nestled in downtown Kerrville is called Grape Juice. It's a wine bar, tap room, restaurant and art house comparable in aesthetics to my beloved Huisache down here in New Braunfels.

It's a half-restaurant, half-bar with a wonderful, comfortable vibe. There's lots of interesting (albeit overpriced) art hanging on the walls, unique beers on tap, and an extensive wine list. After spending an evening in the self-proclaimed Cowboy Capital of the World, Bandera, the people who greeted us at Grape Juice seemed normal and slightly sophisticated but grounded. The TV near the bar had sports, while the one in the corner was connected to my favorite XM Radio station, The Spectrum. I just felt really good being there, and it's not every day you can walk into a brand new establishment and feel at home.

So if you're planning a trip to the hill country or already close, check out Grape Juice. It's not cheap, but the atmosphere is worth it, at least to me.

I hope to make discovering such hill country gems a habit.

Map:

View Grape Juice in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment